1. Replenish stuff. I mean really. Let’s say you stop by Starbucks to get a cup of coffee which happens to be your lifeblood and they don’t have cups. Yeah. Bad start to the morning. So replenish what you NEED to get out of the house so you can get onto what is next.
- Is there toilet paper?
- Do you have what you need for breakfast and lunch?
- What’s for dinner tonight?
- Do you have what you need to get ready? (hairspray, goop, toothpaste, brushes, mascara, soap)?
- Do you have your “have to have it when I wake up” stuff?
- Do you have what you need to clean up spills, cat poop, dog puke, and everything else that could go wrong? Yeah, go buy that spray at WalMart.
2. For the love of god prepare the night before. I mean really. We live in a hard cruel world. We send our kids to school with bullies and we head to work with adult bullies. The last thing we need is to fight and get angry at home. I know. I did it all the time too. So get some of this stuff ready the night before. If you don’t have time then make time. Maybe someone doesn’t need to be in a million activities after school:
- What are we wearing tomorrow?
- Do we have clean socks, underwear, jeans, etc?
- Any school projects need to be worked on?
- Does anything need ironed, mended, or bought for the big meeting?
- Do we know where badges are, shoes, purses, bags, computer chargers, phone chargers, etc?
- What can we do the night before that will alleviate the stress the next morning?
- Tell me you have a to-do list or something somewhere to write down things that are important but don’t need to be done right away.
- Is lunch money ready to go, that check made out to the school, the papers signed, and the email sent?
- The goal is to do anything you can to make tomorrow morning go as smoothly as possible.
- Be sure everything is charged while you sleep.
3. Make priorities. I wasted large amounts of time and caused unnecessary grief by pushing to get things done in the morning that simply was not important. Decide what is truly important to start the day off right. Some things that I could have let go for the sake of having peace in the house:
- The beds didn’t need to be made.
- The kitchen didn’t need to be perfect before we left.
- I didn’t have to get the laundry put away.
- I should have paid for the school lunches a month at a time.
- I should have asked about upcoming school projects on a daily basis.
- We should have bought a stock supply of project board, crayons, markers, scissors, and tape.
- Tell the kids no I can’t get that shirt clean real fast.
- Loved and hugged more.
- Smiled more, got angry less.
- Got up 30 minutes earlier to have a cup of coffee and enjoy a few minutes of rest.
4. Reasons why getting out of the house is important:
- Because there are more important things we want to accomplish.
- Because everyday life is important and how we handle it is the key to being happy.
- Because we may just have bigger goals in mind. We will feel more capable of accomplishing them if we can figure out how to keep the toilet paper stocked in the bathroom.
- Because the kids are going to leave one day and what we do with them each day is important.
- Because it starts the ball rolling. Let’s roll it right.
- Because you are spending a crapload of money for this place you live in. Make it nice.
I was in a rush to get to work because I hit the snooze button. I ran to the bathroom to start my day off and there wasn’t any toilet paper. I thought yeah. I am really going to become a successful blogger, complete my MBA, and start a side hustle. I can’t even keep the toilet paper stocked up. WTF!
Arriving to work disheveled is no way to start the day. We have enough to deal with. We don’t need to add on more. As we get into the grind of the 9-5 our mind may wander. It might wonder how to get out. We might remember that our side project needs work that thing that will get us out of here, but then remember that we have to run by the store, go by the post office, and cook dinner tonight. I will never get out of here. You can, but not if you don’t get some basic stuff done. This is important and key to creating the life you want.
Now go. See if there is any toilet paper. We don’t need to be wiping with paper towel do we?